|Title||Rose Garden 1933|
Photo of Rose garden from northeast corner. Summerhouse pavillion in southeast corner of garden.
Notes: In 1924, Lydia Morris replaced the mixed garden, laid out in 1888, with the formal rose garden and built a rock wall.
Duplicates: 2004.1.437 and 438.
Shows Hillcrest estate on hilltop. In 1919 the Sisters purchased Hillcrest, the estate of Reed A. Morgan (renamed Norwood by a subsequent owner), situated on Germantown Avenue just one mile south of Mount Saint Joseph Convent. The estate and its outbuildings were reorganized by the Sisters to accommodate 48 boarders, 6 day students, and 9 sisters who formed Norwood Academy for Boys which opened in 1920. The boarding school status was eliminated in 1969.
During the early 1920s the girls in the elementary level of Mount Saint Joseph Academy were moved to the newly purchased property located at 9001 Germantown Avenue (the Harrison Estate). Named for the French foundress of the Sisters of Saint Joseph, Fontbonne Academy for Girls opened in 1924. In 1945, it was relocated to the mansion on the estate of Barbara Strawbridge Morris (Edge Hill) built in 1853 on the corner of Sunset and Norwood Avenue. Fontbonne Academy remained open until 1959. At that time an addition called The Postulate was built next to the Morris mansion and was used as a house of formation and studies for the Sisters of Saint Joseph. In 1971 the Sisters decided to return the formation program to Mount Saint Joseph Convent. At that time, the postulate was renamed Fontbonne Academy and reopened as a girls’ school with the addition of a Montessori preschool program similar to that introduced at Norwood Academy in 1969. The Strawbridge-Morris mansion was renamed Assumption Hall and now serves as a residence for the Sisters of Saint Joseph.
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|PLACE IN THE GARDEN||Rose Garden/Arboretum Views|
|Year Range from||1930|
|Year Range to||1935|
|Number of images||1|