Front of Gates Hall. Copyright Steven Goldblatt 1992.
Note: Originally called “Overlea," Gates Hall was built as a private residence for Mr. David Pepper, a Morris cousin, and his family in 1893. Designed and built by Wilson Eyre Jr., a well known residential architect of the time, it brought national attention to Philadelphia’s suburban architecture. The window variations, classical motifs and human figures seen in the ornamental details were typical of Eyre’s work. In 1948 the building was purchased by the Arboretum and re-named for Thomas Sovereign Gates, a former University of Pennsylvania President, who was instrumental in establishing the Arboretum.
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|PLACE IN THE GARDEN||Gates Hall|
Eyre Jr, Wilson
|Photographer or Artist||Goldblatt, Steven|
|Year Range from||1980|
|Year Range to||2000|
|Number of images||1|