|Title||Gates Hall Wall 1940-1960|
Stone wall at Gates Hall.
Note: Originally called “Overlea," Gates Hall was built as a private residence for Mr. David Pepper and his family in 1893 and was not part of the Morris estate. Designed and built by Wilson Eyre Jr., a well known residential architect of the time, it brought national attention to Philadelphia’s suburban architecture. The window variations, classical motifs and human figures seen in the ornamental details were typical of Eyre’s work. In 1948 the building was purchased by the Arboretum and re-named for Thomas Sovereign Gates, a former University of Pennsylvania President, who was instrumental in establishing the Arboretum.
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|PLACE IN THE GARDEN||Gates Hall|
|Year Range from||1940|
|Year Range to||1960|
|Number of images||1|