Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title Plowing at Harrowgate circa 1880
CATALOG NUMBER 1985.1.12N2
Description Horse pulling a plow in a field at Harrowgate, which was in the lower northeast part of Philadelphia, prior to 1854, northeast of Kensington (adjacent to Kensington Avenue), south of Juniata, and northwest of Port Richmond.

In the late 18th century, Harrowgate had a spa, which possessed claimed medicinal value, spoken for by, inter alia, Dr. Benjamin Rush. The proprietor the spa and resort was George Esterley, and it was the site of many concerts and exhibitions during clement weather ("History of Philadelphia, 1809-1884", Scharf, J.T. and Wescott, T. at p. 943).

Cedar Grove was built in Harrowgate in 1748 as a summer home, by Elizabeth Coates Paschall, and was moved to Fairmount Park by Lydia Morris in 1926-28 and donated to the City of Philadelphia (www.philamuseum.org/visit/20-566-41.html).

Note: These 19 black and white negatives were found in the slide room with glass negatives.
Object Name Negative, Sheet Film
PLACE IN THE GARDEN Harrowgate/Cedar Grove
Year Range from 1870
Year Range to 1890
Number of images 1