Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title The Palm House circa 1900
CATALOG NUMBER 2004.1.857LS
Description Hand colored glass positive image of the Palm House, the largest of the glass houses at Compton. The Palm house contained a waterlily pond surrounded by container grown orchids, caladium, palms, and a vines across the glass roof. The footprint of pond is no longer visible since road grading above the fernery.

The Palm House, Rose House and the Carnation House no longer exist after they were removed in 1941 due to structural deterioration. Only the Fernery remains.
See also 2004.1.636 - External view.
Duplicate as 2004.1.757 black and white print from negative.
Object Name Transparency, Lantern Slide
PLACE IN THE GARDEN Fernery/Greenhouses/Plants
Year Range from 1890
Year Range to 1910
Number of images 1