|Title||Lydia Near Lydia's Seat and the Blue Pool ca. 1920|
Lydia Morris (1849-1932) standing at Lydia's Seat at the corner of the Formal Garden around 1920, before the Rose Garden was built in 1924.
A 1910 payment of $771.50 for the "Garden Steps, Wall & Seat" that we know as Lydia's Seat appears in the account ledger for Compton. The "Blue Pool" was added later. The seat was installed in the years that Lydia installed the Formal Garden. The seat and stairs were a favorite garden approach and prospect along the path down the hill from the house to the mixed flower, kitchen and herb gardens (called the Formal Garden) that preceded the Rose Garden. The view today is just as special, but a bit more secret.
The name "Lydia's Seat" was never mentioned in our papers on the garden, and may have evolved from photos we have of Lydia posing here.
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|PLACE IN THE GARDEN||Rose Garden|
|Year Range from||1910|
|Year Range to||1920|
|Number of images||4|