|Title||Board Minutes and Correspondance to Establish that Arboretum Operated as an Entity Before Aug. 1933|
|Scope & Content||
Documents copied and compiled by Agatha Hughes in 1981 to establish for a grant or tax appeal that the Arboretum existed before Aug. 10, 1933.
1. Brief Summary of the Provisions of the Will of Lydia T. Morris, decsd, as Relates to "The Morris Foundation" and "The Morris Arboretum of the University of Pennsylvania."
2. Letter from Rodney True, Chair, Dept of Botany to George Brakeley, Univ VP, dated 10/19/1932, re: [Gate House] Lodge Being Occupied by Mr. Tonkin.
3. Letter from George Brakeley to Maurice Saul, Executor of the Morris Estate, dated 10/11/1932 re: Payments for various items at MA and the use of the "main house" and its cellars by Dr. H. H. York and others.
4. Letter from Maurice Saul to George Brakeley, dated 11/14/1932, re: appointment and payment of staff and for coal. NB: In this letter Mr. Saul refers to "Miss Morris's directions that [Compton mansion] should be torn down."
5. Letter from Maurice Saul to George Brakeley, dated 11/15/1932, re: Tax exemption for Morris property in Montgomery County.
6. Letter from George Brakeley to Rodney True, dated 11/15/1932, re: Early staff appointments for proper management and organization of the Arboretum.
7. Letter from Rodney True to George Brakeley, dated 11/23/1932, re: coal bill, Planning Dept, and arrangements re employment and residence of Coulson.
8. Announcement dated February 1933 re: Appointments to MA executive and scientific staffs (Rodney True, James Lambert, James O'Neill, Harlan York, Edgar Wherry, Conway Zirkle, John Fogg.
9. Letter from U of P Exec. Engineer to George Brakeley, dated 2/28/1933 re repairs/changes/upgrades to pathology lab in Compton basement and experimental station located in the garage attic, and additional recommended repairs and changes.
10. Letter from Rodney True to George Brakeley, dated 3/31/1933 regarding the Rock Expedition and MA particpation therein.
11. Letter from George Brakeley to Maurice Saul, dated May 11, 1933, regarding payment of Dept of Botany professors.
12. Letter from Rodney True to George Brakeley, dated June 27, 1933, adding Julia W. Rowe as sec'y to operating staff, including erection of signboards at the entrances announcing public open days.
13. Bill from George Brakeley to Frank Sayre, VP, The Pennsylvania Company, dated May 29, 1933.
14. Bill from William Russell, Secretary to the Morris Foundation to George Brakeley, dated May 29, 1933, regarding MA maintenance costs.
15. Proposed Budget dated June 30, 1933.
16. Budget (Estimated and Amended), dated June 30, 1933.
Brakeley, George A
Fogg, Jr, John M
Hughes, Agatha H
Rowe, Julia W
Russell, William H.
Saul, Maurice Bower
Sayre, Frank G
Tonkin, Edgar Thomas
True, Rodney H
Wherry, Edgar T
York, PhD, Harlan H.
|Creator||Hughes, Agatha M|
|Year Range from||1930|
|Year Range to||1940|
|Dates of Creation||1981|